Summer quash, winter squash. Zucchini, buttercup, spaghetti, acorn… You name it. I love it.
The following recipe for butternut squash and apple soup is on rotation in my kitchen during squash season. It is both mildly sweet and subtly tart. I served it to the lunch club alongside lentil croquettes and salad, and as a first course at a friend’s Thanksgiving dinner. It’s one dish that everyone enjoys, kids alike. You’ll just have to taste for yourself!
- 2 pounds of butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 apples, peeled and cubed (McIntosh, Cortland, Empire…)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp of butter or canola oil
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Half cup of apple cider
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- Dash of apple cider vinegar
- Milk or cream (I prefer unsweetened soy milk)
For a vegan version, use canola oil instead of butter, and soy milk instead of milk/cream.