As a child, my mom couldn’t get me to eat chickpeas. For years, I took my aversion for granted and didn’t give them another fair try. Then one day I did, and it hit me. I suddenly loved chickpeas.
I find their plump shape strangely satisfying to chew on. Turn them into hummus or falafels and they’re just as addictive. I’ve got years of catching up to do!
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Tastes even better the next day. Serves 6-8.
Adapted from Metro